Thermal hydraulics of light water reactors general
The objective of the module is to explain and to justify the thermal design of a nuclear reactor and to assess the thermodynamic efficiency of a nuclear reactor (energy conversion).Upon the module completion, the participants will be able to calculate the fuel temperature and define the related safety criteria.
- Single phase fluid mechanics.
- Control volumes and control masses. Balance equations: instantaneous, local equations, 1D equations, lumped equations.
- Laminar flows: resolution of Navier-Stokes equations for simple conditions.
- Turbulent flows: statistical treatment, momentum and heat transfer, boundary layer.
- Pressure drops: wall friction, singular pressure drops. Pump characteristics.
- Heat transfer: Nusselt number and heat transfer coefficient. Treatment of heat exchangers.
- Thermal characteristics and thermal design of nuclear reactors
- Thermodynamic cycles: thermodynamic diagrams. Main design issues. Thermal and mechanical aspects of fuel.
- Heat transfer in fuel materials.